Thursday, October 1, 2009

Boys

This pictures doesn't have a lot to do with my post, but I love it. :)

Hector and I had a great visit with some old friends from Montana this week. It proved to be very insightful for me especially. My friend has survived raising 4 boys into adulthood and laughed at me a lot this week. She had great advice that I really needed about little boys.


Gabe is ALL BOY. This isn't something we taught him to be and I have decided that in Nature vs. Nurture, Nature almost always wins. One thing she told me was that I worry too much over how rough my boy can be. She said that boys bond by rough housing. It's true. I never see Gabe happier than when he is wrestling with his Dad, or anyone for that matter. When the grow up they are going to need to have some aggression (taught to use it in the right way:) ) to be the bread winners for their families.

I also thought in the back of my mind that I may not want Gabe to play with toy guys or swords or anything he could fight with. But again her wisdom proved to be helpful. She told me that her 90 yr old grandmother told her once that it doesn't matter if a boy has never even seen a weapon, he will eventually make it into the backyard, find a stick and begin sword fights or pretend to shoot something. It is bred into their genetics. They are defenders and protectors by nature.
Whew. Now I feel more equipped to go from here. He will always be a boy, doing boy things. I just need to give his energy direction, steer him in the right way, and remind him that he is allowed to stand up, but he must put the seat back down for the ladies. :)

1 comments:

Laura said...

Haha, I love it! All good points. Can't wait to hang out with this boy tonight!