Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Out of the Mouthes of Babes

Last night Gabe and I took a trip for the hundredth time to Arctic Circle for ice cream and playing at the indoor playground. Normally we just get ice cream cones but this time I saw a sign "Small Shakes $2.00" I could not seem to pass up this amazing savings of $.50 on a small shake, so brownie and cheese cake it was.

Gabe ran ahead to the play area and I waited for them to mix the shake. I found Gabe befriending two older children who were playing tag on the playground. I sat down and began savoring our milkshake. I enjoyed the small chucks of brownie and watching my son laugh and chase his new friends, until the older boy stopped in his tracks in front of me and asked

"Is that ALL you eat?" Now of course I knew he was repeating something his parents had said to him I am sure, since I had never met him and he had no proof that I would eat this shake without sharing.

"Yes." I replied " We only eat ice cream and candy for every meal at our house." Iturned up my nose and looked for Gabe, to the astonishment of my new admirer.

Soon I had to jump up to help Gabe climb the small climbing wall. As I approached Gabe, leaving my ice cream behind on the table, the same sweet boy stopped sliding the slide to ask "Wow! Are you done with that ice cream? You were really scarfing it down!"

I suddenly thought spitting fire might come in handy. Where was his mother anyway?

After a few minutes of letting Gabe play out his wiggles, we left the restaurant. After, of course, reporting a spilled shake on a young boys shoe that should be cleaned up right away or he might have to squish his foot in sticky ice cream the whole way home.

0 comments: