Friday, March 18, 2011

Talented, we are.

It seems like ever since the baby was born our little family has had one new adventure after another. One of our adventures was discovering a large group of our neighbors gathered in our backyard one evening, observing a moose that was eating just across the dry canal from them. They were all enjoying the view and making little remarks about how they wish they had their shot guns on them for a little target practice. These were all fun, joking remarks... until the moose decided to cross the dry canal, in which each neighbor lost their desire to confront the animal and the group quickly dispersed.
The moose, being in our backyard, allowed us to sit and watch him for hours. My son begged repeatedly to go pet him. My husband, testing my sons bravery, handed him a pack of chicken nuggets and said " Go feed him."
My son quickly obeyed and ran for the door.
My husband, thoroughly satisfied, called him back. My son protested the whole way, declaring that he would hold the nugget out, very still.
My husband and I tried for a few minutes to teach him about wild animals. We did our best, but it was a lost cause.
"I'll be REALLY careful!!" He would yell "I will walk SO slowly!!". When my hubby and I decided that ignoring him would be the quickest way to end the conversation, our son in a last desperate attempt cried "BUT I SPEAK MOOSE!!"
We asked him to give us an example of 'Moose', thinking that this may be an interesting experiment. Weighing the the two outcomes of letting him try his 'Moose' on the animal, child prodigy or child abuse, we listened intently.
"MMOOOOOOO!!!!" he replied.
Huh.
He really can speak moose. Child prodigy, definitely.

0 comments: