Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fishie Heaven, well almost.

I feed our goldfish at least 4 times a day. This was recommended to me by a mom standing beside the fish tanks at Walmart.
"You have to clean their tank out more often, but they will live longer." she said.
I tried to smile a grateful smile, but deep down I knew that I kinda wanted a goldfish for ONLY a couple weeks. Not years. But now with my new knowledge, I can't purposely starve them to death, I'm annoyed, not heartless.
I was too stingy to purchase a net to get the fish out of the bowl when I clean it, so I have to do a limbo while pouring dirty water out WITH OUT pouring fish out. :)
No such luck today. He slipped right through my fingers, and down the garbage disposal. With the apple peelings and soggy cereal.
I panicked. I shushed my 2 yr old who was screaming "Mommy! Nemo went down the drain!!! Mommy! Get him!"
"Let me think!" I cried. I could see the light shining off his golden scales in the pit of darkness. I reached my hand in, felt around and felt him wriggling in my hand. Immediately dropped him. I wasn't sure if I could do that again, it totally creeped me out! But I did it.
Hector walked in on the scene and said "Don't chop your hand off"
"How long can fish be out of water?!" I yelled. I said it again when the look on his face said he wasn't digesting my words.
"Uh... a minute?" he replied.
I fished him out again and quickly dumped him back into his bowl, where he happily gulped in water. I wiped my forehead, my son clapped his hands and my husband said I stunk like fish. "Be nice to me, " I replied "I am a hero/murderer. Not a healthy combination."

2 comments:

laura said...

Remind me to tell you my tramatic fish story one day. Lets just leave it at "I feel your pain."

Jay & Tammi Roberts said...

Kim, I am so glad that you found my blog.... It has been sooo long! That story is too funny, I'm glad that you were able to get it out and that it lived!